Here are few stuff that I feel you need to follow/know to be good programmer irrespective of the language you are learning.
- Learn basics, avoid use of frameworks at initial stage, start small and then build upon it.
- Help yourself (Solve your own problems), if difficult discuss your problem but don’t copy, instead learn from discussion and implement it yourself.
- Read experts articles, look back on your code and make necessary improvements.
- Freelance. Say yes to any project that connects you to real business world. Programming for self and programming for client can be completely different, experience this difference at early stage.
- Be a domain expert, being master of one is excellent!!!.
- Connect with developers @ GitHub, BitBucket, Twitter, Facebook, follow them, learn from them and most importantly don’t hesitate to ask them.
- Take a break, give yourself some room to breath and re-energize yourself to code better. I have found that time restriction coding results in better efficiency
Connect with me on GitHub at: http://github.com/sandeepjain